Sunday, May 31

A Swoon-Worthy Recipe for Almond Crusted French Toast with Fresh Cherry Sauce

cherries 4

In my last post I covered everything you need to know about cherries and shared a recipe for savory Mesclun, Cherry, and Goat Cheese Salad. Today I'm admiring cherries' sweet side with a swoon-worthy breakfast of Almond Crusted French Toast with Fresh Cherry Sauce.

I'm not going to wax nostalgic about cherries' magnificence. Here's all I'm going to say: I made this French toast last Saturday morning. Jeff and I were so busy oohing and aahing as we ate that we could not hold a conversation. He requested the same French toast on Sunday morning; I happily obliged. Monday was a holiday, which meant extra time for breakfast. I had barely enough almonds to coat the bread, hardly enough cherries to make the sauce, and one orange in the fridge for the sauce. But it was enough, so we ate it again.

cherry French toast 3

Almond Crusted French Toast with Fresh Cherry Sauce
Makes 8 slices
Print recipe only here.

Cherry Sauce:
1 cup orange juice
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups pitted cherries, halved
1 teaspoon cointreau (orange liqueur), optional


French Toast:
8 slices Texas toast (thickly sliced challah bread works well too)
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole or low-fat milk
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
zest of 1 large orange
2 1/2 cups sliced almonds
butter, for griddle
confectioners' sugar


To make the sauce place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; lower to a simmer, and cook until slightly thick and bubbly, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

In a shallow bowl or pie plate, lightly whisk eggs; add milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and orange zest and whisk until well combined. Place almonds in a separate shallow bowl.

Place griddle over medium-low heat. (Note: if the heat is too high, the almonds will burn before the toast is cooked). Melt a little butter on the griddle until just coated.

Dip one slice of bread in the egg mixture, allowing the excess to drip into the bowl, then dip in the almonds until both sides are well coated. Place on the hot buttered griddle. Cook for 1 minute per side, or until golden brown and the egg has set. Transfer to a warm plate and cover until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining slices, buttering the griddle as necessary.

Top each serving with cherry sauce, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.

You might also like:

Fresh Apricot and Cherry Cobbler with Buttermilk Biscuit Crust



45 comments:

culinography said...

Mmmmm... this looks amazing! Pass me a fork!

Happy cook said...

Cherries are just comming here in the shops and the price is still really high so will have to wait till they sell it for lower price when they have them in abundence and then i am sure going to try this and love those thich slices of bread.

Manggy said...

Uh, do you guys mind having a fifth wheel on the breakfast table? Because I am so there ;) I wish we had cherries up the wazoo-- I'd totally sleep now so I can wake up early to make this!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Three mornings in a row ... bound to be great French Toast. Cherries are just good.

Lisa said...

Cherry lovers couldn't resist this! I'm certainly going to give it a try.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That loos sooo delicious! A fantastic idea!

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather said...

that fresh cherry sauce sounds AMAZING!!!!!

Simona said...

I can understand all the "oohing and aahing." No cherries here, yet, so I'll have to wait to try your recipe.

Bellini Valli said...

I am sure they have cherries in the southern Okanagan, I can't wait for them to be in season here.

Sharon said...

lucky me! I have all these ingredients right now. I just love the sound of the cherry sauce.

The Leftoverist said...

How lucky to be in your household, eating this for 3 days in a row. I hope we can eat it for one.

Ivy said...

I made a much simpler version of cherry and apricot sauce on Saturday night and had it for breakfast on toast just half an hour ago. Your version sounds delicious.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

You sure know how to welcome cherry season! This French toast would make me SOOOOO happy!

Elyse said...

Yum! You know a recipe is good when you have it almost three days in a row! I can't wait to try out this French toast. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

ChichaJo said...

I can SO see myself having this for three days straight too! :) Yummy!

♥Rosie♥ said...

I can't wait to get fresh cherries, because this sounds amazing and something I'd like to try out.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

culinography-OK! ;)

happy cook-The thicker the better. :)

mark-We'd love to share. :)

tanna-It's really is great.

lisa-I hope you do!

rosa-Thank you!

heather-Yay! Thanks.

simona-It's worth the wait. :)

val-You'll have their arrival to look forward to.

sharon-Then I hope you make it!

leftoverist-Don't be surprised if 1 day turns into 3. ;)

ivy-Mmm... love apricots and cherries together.

tw-I'm still smiling. :)

elyse-I think you'll really love it!

joey-It's pretty easy!

rosie-It's definitely worth waiting for.

The Duo Dishes said...

Mmmmmm mmmm mmm to French toast! It's so good no matter how you dress it up.

John said...

Wow
It looks so good and beautiful.
Thank for sharing
www.ahacook.com

nora@ffr said...

yumm!! love this cherry french toast.. m sure my kids gonn love themm
thanx :)

elly said...

This looks so fabulous, Susan. I really don't eat french toast (or breakfast sweets) enough! As I am reading this, though, I am unfortunately eating the last 8 cherries in the house. Hah.

Annie said...

Hahaha, no need for conversation when you have french toast like that in front of you! YUM!

Aran said...

susan, that looks like what i want to have for dessert right now!

Dragon said...

I want to bathe in that cherry sauce! TMI?

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

That has my name written all over it... French toast, almonds, and cherries - what's not to like?

If only I could get my partner to like cherries...

cooknkate said...

I bought cherries yesterday and even though I was stuffed after dinner I couldn't resist a few handfuls. I'm thinking way too much money will be spent in the near future to satisfy my lust for this fruit.

But that's entirely all right.

Aparna said...

Cherries are almost here and my daughter loves french toast. Never had them with almonds. This is going to be breakfast sometime this week, once I've got those cherries! :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Cherries and almonds are a classic combination. Yummy french toast.

I'm looking forward to the cherry season. They're such a fun fruit to play with.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

That looks like the best french toast EVER! What isn't better with cherries?

Peter M said...

"Help, I've fallen & I can't get up"! That's the result of my swooning and subsequent fall.

Culinary Wannabe said...

This looks like the most perfect weekend breakfast. So yummy!

Abby said...

Actions speak louder than words. But ooohs and aaahs say the most.

Gorgeous photos!

I can't wait for cherries to start popping up around here. I just finished going through my strawberries!

Juliana said...

Wow, such a fancy French toast...looks fabulous...really a treat. Great pictures as well.

Kara said...

Wow - this looks amazing! So decadent. But then I scrolled to the end of your post and want to make ALL of those recipes! Where to start...

Patsyk said...

Your french toast looks like it would be hard to resist! Such a perfect brunch recipe... or just to hang around on a lazy weekend morning so you don't have to share!

The Purple Foodie said...

This looks gorgeous! I can imagine it being hard to hold any sort of conversation when you're eating something like this!

Acai said...

Cherry lovers couldn't resist this! I'm certainly going to give it a try.

Mrs. L said...

This looks great, alas, the cherries we've been trying haven't been the best. We plan on hitting a local place here this weekend that usually has awesome cherries to see if they are any better.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

duodishes-Thanks a lot!

john-Thanks a bunch!

nora-I hope the little ones enjoy it!

elly-No French toast? I couldn't survive. ;)

annie-My sentiments, exactly. ;)

kate-They're worth every last penny. :)

aparna-She's going to love it!

sdoc-

aran-Thanks!

dragon-Have a big towel ready.;)

forkful-And that doesn't cause serious relationship problems? ;)

sdoc-They are fun to experiment with, for sure.

lynn-They make food better and happier! :)

peter-:)

ashley-It's the perfect way to kick off the weekend.

abby-Ooh... Ahh.... :)

juliana-I really appreciate that.

kara-Thanks. That's sweet.

patsyk-It is irresistible. Hence the piggish 3 days in a row. :)

purplefoodie-Oh, thanks!

acai-Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

mrsl-Locally grown ones are usually better since they're fresher. Good luck!

Deborah Dowd said...

You hadmewith the picture of the bowl of cherries! They are my favorite,and during cherry season, my fingers are often red from snacking!

Diane Schuller said...

I was already convinced as I began reading the post and then I saw the first image -- wow, that is pro quality again. Excellent image to entice me even further. Yum

Susan @ SGCC said...

OMG! That French toast looks fabulous! FT is my all time favorite breakfast. I am so making this one!

Gattina said...

way too gorgeous!!! you double 'torture' me... I wasn't invited (twice) for this splendid french toast :D

Gourmet Mama said...

This is really a great recipe! My kids loved it! I will have to start on stocking cherries soon.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

deborah-I'm glad to hear that!

diane-Oh, thank you so much.

susan-Then you'll love this!

gattina-You're funny!

gourmetmama-Oh, that's so great to hear! Thanks for letting me know.

There was an error in this gadget