Tuesday, April 19

Kids Are Bananas Over Banana Split Sandwiches!



For most of the country this week is school vacation. And I've got the #1 most awesome, super-duper, wicked cool kid's sandwich ever: A Banana Split Sandwich!

That's right, the iconic banana split that was once America's favorite 1920s soda fountain treat is now a sandwich! Hot fudge, peanut butter, bananas, and strawberry and pineapple jam play happily together between two warm, toasty slabs of bread. I don't need to tell you that a cold glass of milk is the only accompaniment this sandwich needs.


For more fun, kid-friendly sandwiches including a Banana Bread and Cream Cheese Sandwich, Ice Cream Sandwiches and a Chip Butty (that's a French Fry Sandwich), check out my new book, The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches!

Banana Split Sandwich
Makes 1
Printable recipe.

About 2 tablespoons butter
2 thick slices white bread, such as country white or Texas toast
1 tablespoon creamy or chunky peanut butter
1 to 2 teaspoons chocolate sauce or hot fudge
1 small banana, cut lengthwise, then in halves (4 pieces total)
1 tablespoon strawberry jam
1 tablespoon pineapple jam

1. Butter 1 side of each bread slice; place buttered side down.

2. Spread peanut butter and chocolate sauce on 1 slice, and top with 2 banana pieces. Spread jams on the other, and top with remaining banana pieces. Close sandwich.

3. Place on a griddle over medium-high heat. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, flip gently, and cook 1 minute more, or until bread is golden and toasty.

Click here to purchase a copy of The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches on Amazon!

10 comments:

JR/Mike said...

I love bananas and peanut butter. I just recently made a PB&J banana wrap. I'll have to add chocolate sauce next time! I love how it's just oozing out of the side with all those great different flavors!!

Rina said...

I don't even like bananas, but that sounds tempting. And if you added marshmallow fluff to it- mmm-mmm, no way anyone would say no to that!

Jennifurla said...

Oh my, I would kill for this. What a great treat.

Joanne said...

Ah! Still REALLY need to make this sandwich! Looks absolutely delicious!

Audrey Ellen @ My Scene and Herd said...

This reminds me of my freshmen year of college when i would put a nutella+banana sandwich on the panini every day. While not nutritionally sound, this was my favorite thing.

Like all of your sandwiches, yours looks incredible!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Oh my goodness, that is the ultimate kid sandwich. It looks amazing. Can't wait to get your book!

We Are Not Martha said...

YUM! I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches and this sounds even better! Perfection :)

Sues

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Hopefully, this is good for kids of all ages! It sure looks like I would love it...

Magic of Spice said...

What a fun idea, I bet kids absolutely love this :)

Diane {Created by Diane} said...

Looks like a yummy sandwich.
Looking forward to meeting you next week at campblogaway.

There was an error in this gadget