Friday, January 7

How to Make Killer Bisquick-Free Pancakes


Two years ago. I was exposed. It was humiliating. I was caught red-handed with Bisquick. So I confessed: I cannot make good pancakes. I use Bisquick.

The good news is that today I can make killer pancakes from scratch. It wasn't an easy journey to this baking success. I went through stages of pancake grief.

First came denial: What?! Boxed Bisquick? No way! I make everything from scratch. Boxes are for semi-homemade Sara Lee, not Food Blogga!

Then came anger: Damn Bisquick. Damn IHOP. Damn the pancake Gods. Damn them all to hell!

Anger turned into depression: I'm such a loser. Every food blogger makes great pancakes. Why can't I? What's wrong with me?

Finally came acceptance: Not everyone is meant to make great pancakes. I make great pizza. Not everyone makes great pizza.

Better Than IHOP Pancakes from Recipes Every Man Should Know

After my acceptance came a request from my editor. I needed to include a pancake recipe for my book, Recipes Every Man Should Know. They would be called "Better-Than-IHOP Pancakes." That was my editor's choice. I would never have so brazenly provoked the pancake gods. So 38 batches of pancakes later, I now have my own Better-Than-IHOP Pancake recipe. They're fluffy and sweet and completely Bisquick-free.

Better-Than-IHOP Pancakes
Makes 8-10 pancakes
Printable recipe.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (not the powdered variety)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
Maple syrup and melted butter for serving

1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, suar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla extract (if using). Add dry ingredients to wet, and whisk until just combined. It's OK if batter is a little lumpy. Let it rest for 10 minutes.

2. Heat a large frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Splash it with a few drops fo water: When they pop and jump, your're good to go. Lightly grease pan with butter. Pour batter by the quarter-cupful on to pan, being careful not to overcrowd if cooking more than one at a time. Leave each pancake alone until edges start to turn golden and little bubbles form on top Then, using a spatula, give it a quick, steady flip. (Remember, the first two or three are for the dog.) Cook 30-60 seconds more, or until puffed up and golden brown.

3. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to the pan as necessary. Serve pancakes right away, or keep in a warm oven (250 F) until you're ready to eat. Top with warm maple syrup and melted butter.

Tasty Pancake Toppings and Add-Ins:
Romantic breakfast in bed: 
*Sweet Berries: Top with fresh berries and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
*Boozy Bananas: Saute sliced bananas in a little butter and a splash of rum for a few minutes. Spoon over pancakes and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

Kid-Friendly:
*Chocolate Chip: After pouring the pancakes on the griddle, top each one with a few chocolate or cinnamon chips.
*Cinnamon-Sugar Apples: Cook sliced apples in a little butter and sprinkle with cinnamon, brown sugar, and raisins.

Manly:
*Maple-Bacon-Banana: Place slices of cooked maple-smoked bacon in between pancakes. Cook sliced bananas in a buttered pan until golden. Spoon over pancakes and drizzle with maple syrup.


Have you gotten a copy of Recipes Every Man Should Know? You can purchase one on Amazon or at Borders, Barnes & Noble, and anywhere books are sold. You'll also find it at Crate & Barrel.

34 comments:

Jennifer said...

YUM! My son will ask for pancakes any time of day...any day of the week! I'll have plenty opportunity to make these...they look wonderful!

Kathy~Sweet Bird Designs said...

Thanks for this recipe - I'm going to try it on Sunday. I've never made pancakes from scratch. I've bought the kind of mix that you just add water to and shake in the container {hanging my head in shame}.

Shari said...

I am definitely excited to give this recipe a go-mostly to see how it stands up to these by Pioneer Woman:
http://www.howto-simplify.com/2010/01/edna-maes-sour-cream-pancakes-pioneer.html

Seriously, I would be doing a dis- service to you if I didn't share this recipe. It has changed our lives
:O).

Heather (Heather's Dish) said...

my hubby is OBSESSED with pancakes...i can't wait to try this recipe on him! he might just flip ;)

KJ said...

I used to visit a non-chain pancake house and they had the fluffiest pancakes. A friend and I figured it out, whip the egg whites- not stiff, not even necessarily soft peaks, but enough to add fluff and fold the beaten whites into your batter. Like magic, fluffy pancakes.

Susie Bee on Maui said...

Yay for conquering the pancake! If you want to try whole wheat pancakes next-here's a place to start.
http://eatlittleeatbig.blogspot.com/2010/10/chocolate-hazelnut-whole-wheat-pancakes.html

Roxan said...

Susan, you're so cute! I love that first photo of you. It's like a movie star who is getting caught by the paparrazi doing something wrong. These pancakes look so good! Mmm. I could totally go for a huge stack right now.

Erin said...

I too have yet to master the pancake, sadly, though I have to say I haven't purchased any Bisquick in years - the ingredients list for pancakes is basic enough that I usually have everything I need on hand.

True story: I fail at a pancake batch, yet decide to eat anyway. My husband comes in, grabs the butter, and uses a plastic knife to spread butter on the pancake. I rage, "We don't use plastic utensils in this house!" and throw the knife into the kitchen sink. It was a pancake-induced rage I hope I don't repeat.

All Things Yummy said...

it's so funny you posted this because a friend asked me for a pancake recipe yesterday and I amgoing to give him the one in your book.
I really need to post about your book and I plan to as soon as I try out the oatmeal cookie recipe in it.

Meal Plan Mom (Brenda) said...

My kids LOVE pancakes but I am also pancake challenged so am always trying out new recipes on them. Yes, they still love them (most of the time) even though I try to add things like whole wheat flour or some sort of fruit puree. Maybe I should just stick to the basics and try your recipe next time. I think I will. :-)

Toni-Shaklee Distributor said...

What a fun... real life... story!!!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Question... when you said, " (Remember, the first two or three are for the dot.)" Did you mean for the DOG?

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

I'm all about the from-scratch pancakes too, I make them almost every weekend. Actually almost overstepped my bounds a few weeks ago when I was at someone's house (who shall remain nameless!) and I kind of balked at the Bisquick box. Oops! Oh well... :-)

Johanna GGG said...

those pancake look beautiful - I have never seen bisquick so it is always a mystery to me - though we once had a packet of pancake parlour mixture that worked very well

Rosemary said...

My granddaughter says her daddy is the best pancake maker. "What's your secret," I ask daddy. "A teaspoon of lemon juice," he says. In his Bisquick batter.

I'm saving this recipe for him!

Debbie said...

They sound delicious and I will be making these!!!!

Liz the Chef said...

Gosh, we could start a club - "recovering Bisquick pancake-makers".

Wendy said...

Love that you made so many batches to get this just right!! You rock food blogga!

Wendy {in NC from RI}

culinography said...

Confession: I've also defaulted to Bisquick for pancakes. And then... to straight up Aunt Jemimah. This morning, I had pancakes on the brain and sadly discovered there was no "mix" of any sort in the pantry. Luckily, I'd just read this entry last night and I came back and dug it up to try it...

OH HAPPY DAY. These rock, Susan. Seriously easy, seriously fluffy, seriously tasty. YUM.

Loving Bisquick said...

I love the smell of pancakes in the morning!! Hmmmm!! I have to try these Bisquick pancakes!!

Marianne @ MealMixer said...

Buttermilk all the way...I use an electric griddle at 350 and let it preheat while I make the batter.

I usually stir in mini-chocolate chips to the last batch - they're great with raspberry jelly!

marye said...

Isn't it weird how really good pancakes should be simple but so much of the time they aren't? LOL!

féenoménale said...

This recipe makes me want. I'll certainly try. With cinnamon syrup on it ...

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day said...

Talk about pressure! Having to name your pancakes that! They look awesome.

All Things Yummy said...

I made the Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies from your book- DELICIOUS.

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

I'm actually quite nostalgic about Bisquick pancakes, though I no longer eat them and have never made them. My dear grandmother, a wonderful Southern cook, made THE most delicious Bisquick pancakes--I don't know what she did to them, I've never tasted another Bisquick pancake that even came close. But I am one of those "no additives, no weird fats" types, so I always make my pancakes from scratch.

The Teacher Cooks said...

These pancake do look book worthy! Missed you on Twitter. Guess that you have been super busy with the cookbook.

Anna said...

Oh, I'm so ashamed. Whenever I try to make pancakes from scratch they're heavy and tasteless.

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

Congratulations on conquering the pancake! They look so light and fluffy!

Jennifer (Savor) said...

That's it! I am making these tomorrow BUT I will use some ww pastry flour as an experiment

Dennis said...

Yummilicious! I love pancakes.

Angela said...

I just made these pancakes this morning. I really loved the taste and texture - as did my husband. Even the batter looked like an improvement from anything I've ever tried before. But I think I have more "opportunity" in the actual cooking of the pancake. I'm not sure if it is me or the pan but my pancakes never get evenly golden and by the second batch are all burning before the insides are ready for a flip. Any suggestions?

Not Your Ordinary Agent said...

My children have gotten used to me making pancakes regularly and I'm tired of the same recipe. Thank you for posting this! Can you believe we relied on Bisquick? http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com/2010/10/household-tip-3.html

crazymama said...

Awesome recipe! I have always made pancakes from scratch where you beat the egg whites, etc. but sometimes the flavor would be off. You know, the flavor where you swear you can taste the baking powder? Ick. I resorted to Bisquick for my kids' sake, but no more. This recipe was quick, easy and yummy. Thanks!

dianad said...

I have been looking for years for a non-Bisquick recipe, just because of all the chemicals and fat in Bisquick. All of my attempts have been sub-par, to say the least. Just tried these--they are AMAZING! Total keeper-thanks for testing all those batches!

There was an error in this gadget