Wednesday, October 20

Got Soft Apples? Make Apple-Maple Walnut Breakfast Quinoa

Apple-Maple Walnut Breakfast Quinoa

Is there anything more disappointing in October than biting into what you think will be a crisp, snappy apple only to have your teeth sink into mushy flesh? What do you do? Continue to eat it not to be wasteful, or toss it aside for something else?

Neither. Don't eat something you don't enjoy. You'll only be unsatisfied and crave something more. If you can, don't toss it either. Use it in something where the texture of the apple isn't critical, like applesauce. Or add it diced and cooked to oatmeal, quinoa, or barley for a delicious hot breakfast.

This Apple-Maple Walnut Breakfast Quinoa is a protein-rich, filling breakfast alternative to oatmeal. Plus, when you bake the apples on the stovetop, the scent of freshly baked apple pie will float in the air. How can a day not be good when you start it off with warm, soothing, spiced apples?

Seeing as I bought six apples from the same farmer, I've likely got five more softies in my fridge. I don't feel like having quinoa for breakfast tomorrow, so I'll be saying hello to homemade applesauce later today.

Apple-Maple Walnut Breakfast Quinoa
Makes 2 servings
Printable recipe.

1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 cup water
2 teaspoons butter
1 medium apple of your choice, diced with skins on
1- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

1. In a small, heavy bottomed sauce pan, bring water and quinoa to a boil for 2 minutes. Lower to a simmer and cover for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the water, puffs up, and turns translucent. If the water has evaporated before the quinoa is cooked, just add a bit more water. Quinoa should maintain a slight crunch when cooked.

2. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples and cook 2 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Add walnuts, apple pie spice, and salt. Cook 1 minute more. Add to quinoa and stir.

3. Divide quinoa into two bowls, and drizzle with maple syrup. Serve hot.


Here are more breakfast recipes with apples you might enjoy:
Apple and Granola Scones recipe from Baking Bites
Pumpkin Apple Pancakes recipe from Halfed Baked
Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp recipe from Stylish Cuisine
Whole Grain Sour Cream Apple Muffins recipe from Pinch My Salt
Baked French Toast with Apples recipe from Confessions of a Foodie
Old-Fashioned Spiced Apple Streusel Muffins recipe from Food Blogga
Homemade Cranberry, Raisin, and Walnut Applesauce recipe from Food Blogga

13 comments:

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

What a delicious way to use quinoa! It is by far one of my favorite grains. I just love it.

RamblingTart said...

What a lovely way to use up softies, Susan. :-) They are SO disappointing! Thankfully we've got splendid ones in Washington right now. So crisp and juicy and fabulous. Love the looks of this porridge though! :-)

Priya said...

Wat a droolworthy and healthy quinoa, fabulous breakfast to start a day..

Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes

Ms. Bake-it said...

This sounds great! I found some soft apples in my pantry this morning and was going to toss them into muffins but I will use one of them for this recipe.

Thanks!

~ Tracy

roxan said...

I should totally make this. ... Honeycrisp apples are my FAVORITE and they are in season right now, but they're expensive so my husband picked up other apples over the weekend and i'm so annoyed! They're totally soggy and nowhere as delicious or crispy as honeycrisp apples. I've been refusing to eat them. But I'd eat it in this breakfast quinoa!

Jennifurla said...

I still have yet to try a sweeter quinoa, thanks for sharing.

The Food Hunter said...

I've just recently been turned on to Quinoa and I love apples...so I can't wait to make this. Hopefully this weekend.

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

Yes, I have about six of those apples left over. Sounds like a great breakfast idea, otherwise I will have to throw the apples out, because nobody really likes to eat them.

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Breakfast quinoa rules. It's great when I leftovers from dinner bc it reheats so quickly.

Eve Fox said...

mmmm, that looks delicious! I've never made anything sweet with it and am gonna try it ASAP. What is it about quinoa that is so addictive?

Holly Keegan said...

Apple pie spice. That's what was missing when I tried something like this last week. I used plenty of cinnamon, but had I read your recipe first I would have gone apple pie spice instead. I did use a mixture of both red and white quinoa though which was pretty. :)

culinography said...

I love quinoa for breakfast! I'm so happy the weather's finally cooling off... I'll be trying this soon!

NurseNiki said...

I just decided I need an alternative to oatmeal and thought a porridge of a different kind was needed, and poof I found it. This recipe satisfies many nutritional angles too.

There was an error in this gadget