Wednesday, August 11

Strauss Free-Raised Veal Review

Strauss veal hot dog DSC_0015

If Oprah likes it, then it must be good. If she likes it twice, then it must be fabulous.

Nearly two years ago, Strauss Free Raised Veal was featured on the Oprah show as part of a story called "How We Treat the Animals We Eat." They were commended for their humane practices raising calves. This past July their veal was recommended by O Magazine in an article titled "Meet Your Meat."  

Well, if you don't believe Oprah (you do, though, don't you?), then believe me when I say you should know Strauss Free Raised Veal.

The Wisconsin-based company is committed to raising calves more humanely. According to their website:
  • Calves roam freely in pastures with mother and herd.
  • They are never confined.
  • They are never given hormones or antibiotics.
  • They have unlimited access to the mother's milk
  • They are strictly vegetarian-fed.
  • All veal is traceable to the place of birth.
Recently, I received a package of several cuts of Strauss veal and am pleased to say that it's delicious. I enjoyed working with Strauss. My package arrived on time; and the meat was still cold and neatly wrapped in brown paper when I opened the package. Unlike supermarket veal, the color of Strauss veal is a deep rose color, which according to Strauss results from an iron-rich diet of the mother's milk. Once cooked, the veal is remarkably tender and succulent and intensely flavorful.

So far I have made Italian-style veal hot dogs, transformed ground veal into meatballs, and made rosemary scented veal chops. All were wonderful.

If you like veal and you're a conscious eater, then you should consider purchasing Strauss veal. It is sold in many Whole Foods stores and online.

Strauss veal hot dog DSC_0022

Italian Style Veal Hot Dogs with Onions, Peppers, and Mushrooms
Makes 4
Print recipe only here.

Strauss veal hot dogs are fully cooked, skinless, all-natural meat dogs. No nitrates or MSG are added.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, thinly sliced
1 medium red or yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
1 1/2 cups sliced cremini or white button mushrooms
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 Strauss veal hot dogs
4 hot dog buns, lightly steamed
Stone ground or Dijon mustard

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add peppers and mushrooms; saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry vinegar and cook 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

2. Cook hot dogs according to your preferred method: grilling, broiling, steaming, boiling.  Steam buns by placing them in a steamer basket for a couple of minutes until soft and plump.

3. To assemble, place hot dog inside bun, and top a generous squirt of mustard and 1/4 of the sauteed veggies. Eat it while it's hot!

You might also enjoy these meat recipes from Food Blogga:
Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Grilled Steak Tacos with Watermelon-Mango-Jicama Salsa
Grilled Lamb Sandwiches with Sage Aioli and Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade
Veal Cutlet Sandwich with Garlicky Greens, Smoked Mozzarella, and Prosciutto

59 comments:

Rebecca said...

With lots of chopped onion, ketchup and mustard. yum! Those look amazing.

Lea said...

Hot dogs are best with onion sauce (NY style), ketchup, mustard, and saurkraut! Thanks.

Abigail said...

I like my hot dogs blackened over a nice campfire then smacked onto a bun with ketchup and mustard and whatever other condiments were on hand. Eaten with a cold beer and the smell/taste of citronella candles.

Amanda said...

Saurkraut, ketchup and dijon mustard are my fave toppings!

Darlene said...

Potato chips -- yes on the hot dogs-- and mustard.

Mike said...

with mustard and Clancy's Fancy hot sauce

Susan said...

I'm from NJ and we like our hot dogs ripped; that is, deep fried until the skin rips. Put dog in warm steamed roll and add spicy brown mustard and red relish or spicy brown mustard, chili and chopped raw onions. The messier they are, the yummier they taste!

Launa Hall said...

Just like in your picture--onions and peppers! The best!

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

I only buy pork, beef or lamb from local farmers who raise their live stock outside, never confined, humanely, nor hormones.... I wish everybody would pay more attention to what they consume to stop the suffering of thousands and thousands of animals. So, Thank you, for writing this article.

Anna said...

I'm actually a pretty simple girl when it comes to hot dogs. I just want some ketchup, mustard, and a pickle.

Beth said...

I like mine with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese in a toasty bun. Which is probably weird...

Leanne said...

At the ballpark, it's got to be just mustard and relish. At home, it's a bacon-wrapped dog with grilled onions and hot sauce/mayo.

Dawn said...

Loaded with mustard, ketchup, sauerkraut, jalapenos, and pickle.

Joanne said...

I actually don't like hot dogs at all so I'm not interested in the giveaway (although your Italian toppings are quite tempting). But I just wanted to say how commendable it is for you to search out the most humane hot dogs!

Hubert said...

I prefer my calf, live on the hoof. Anyway you slice it, the calf is slaughtered

Hubert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
adrienne said...

I like my dogs charred with giardinera and hot mustard. Yum.

twobarkingdogs said...

Grill the hot dogs, top with sauerkraut, mustard and onions.Yummo!

kori said...

Saurkraut, mustard and baked beans!! YUM!

Anna@Tallgrass Kitchen said...

I'm always excited to hear about sustainable and lovingly raised products in my home state.

I like my hotdogs hot, with a grilled or steamed bun, with a good spicy mustard and kraut.

Although I'm seriously intrigued by the sonoran dog.

Lexi said...

I actually love eating hot dogs over a salad!

Unplanned Cooking said...

Love diced onions and spicy mustard.

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

Ketchup, mustard, relish, sauerkraut - preferably with a baseball game being played nearby!

All Things Yummy said...

I like my hotdog grilled and with lots of mustard. The bun has to be toasted too. So yummy.

Teresa said...

I love them best grilled and naked except for some Heinz kethcup. (As a former Pittsburgher, there can be no ketchup substitutes!)

chris said...

I like mine with plenty of Mezzetta's hot sliced peppers

Samantha said...

I prefer my hot dogs cooked on the grill. If that is not an option then I go for chili dogs!

Ellen said...

grilled, on a toasted bun with ketchup and mustard. dill pickle and potato chips on the side. perfect every time.

Krista B. said...

I scandelize my husband by eating them with mayo and a little relish - he believes in keeping it simple with just mustard!

Sarah said...

I like either plain hotdogs or chili dogs! Mmmm!

Hettar7 said...

Hmm. depends on what I'm in the mood for. If I'm feeling like being reminded of my childhood, I'll put ketchup, mustard, and onions on it. If I'm wanting something really meaty I'll put chili and onions on it. But mostly I go for simple. Charred on the outside, preferably from the grill, and topped with yellow mustard.

I don't eat a whole lot of meat, but I do like hotdogs and am always on the lookout for good small batch artisan food.

Julianna Heiby said...

I slice mine lengthwise so it makes a little "bun" that I fill with swiss cheese, then top with ketchup (Heinz!) and mustard (as grainy as possible!) on a toasted bun.

Julianna Heiby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie A. Smith said...

I have recently discovered the Sonoran hot dog, nestled on a bed of pinto beans on an extra deep bun, topped with onions both fried and raw, mustard, mayonnaise, green chile, and tomato. But these veal dogs should probably be served in a more minimal style, snappy-skinned, with just aribbon ofan exquisite mustard as an accent.

Jean P. said...

Experience has taught me that only inferior hot dogs need excessive embellishment. Truly flavorful hot dogs need only a bun of substantial texture and a squirt of spicy brown mustard. Best place to eat one? Outdoors...on a blanket...in the dark...watching Fourth of July fireworks. Childhood heaven...adult, too, for that matter.

sue22655 said...

I like my dogs one of two ways (I preferred grilled on a griddle the best no matter what the toppings). I eat them with coleslaw and deli mustard or with pickle relish, sauerkraut and deli mustard.

Vicki said...

Being raised in Chicago, I have to go for the classic Chicago dog. Yum.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I'm a NY girl, so sauerkraut is the way to go with mustard too. I also like the cooked red onions.

I'm very interested in this veal because I stopped eating veal over 20 years ago. I'm a pretty unrepetant omnivore, but veal was where I drew the line. Too bad more restaurants don't serve this type of veal.

Amanda said...

With one line of ketchup and one line of mustard down each side ... it's a little OCD but it works for me!

The Teacher Cooks said...

I like mine with sauerkraut! Very interesting about the veal. I want to check them out.

Agnes, Glenside PA said...

I like to eat a hot dog with relish and mustard or chopped onion w/ketchup.

Rebekka said...

Chili beans and cheese!

Megan said...

My favorite way to eat hot dogs is with my mouth. LOL ha ha ha snort. I crack my self up! OK, really my favorite way to eat a hot dog would be plain, with just ketchup and pickle relish. I have to have pickle relish on my hot dog!!!

paintnwiz said...

I love them with chili sauce, onions mustard and topped with a light coleslaw. Yum!

Rochelle said...

As a true hot dog lover, I like my hot dogs, every way, but with the accompaniment of good friends!

As a Texan, Chili cheese dogs are a comfort food. Years of working up north have taught me the value of a good Chicago-style dog. Raised in Arkansas I've had my share of BBQ (with slaw on top!)
I'm moving to Phoenix and recently had a Sonoran style out there, with Pinto beans and bacon (WHOA!).

I've had hot dogs on three continents, numerous countries, and the lesson I've learned that all you need, is a high-quality dog (cooked any way: boiled grilled, blistered, fried, or split!), a good toasted bun (white, wheat, sourdough, I love them all!), a perfect condiment to bun/dog ratio (a basic mustard is all you need but, who cares what: They're all FABULOUS!) and a good friend to keep you company...

...good beer helps too. :)

Rochelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brie: Le Grand Fromage said...

yum, i love a good turkey hot dog with lots and lots of ketchup. at this point, i eat my hot dogs with ketchup just to spite people, even though i still think it tastes really good. i could move on to other, more sophisticated toppings, but ketchup needs love, too.

NYC, Style and a little Cannoli said...

Grilled hot dogs with vidalia onions and pretzel hot dog buns works really really well !!

Kathleen said...

Detroit style Coney Island - Chili, onions, and yellow mustard! Yum!

RamblingTart said...

Oh yum! I do so love hot dogs! :-) My favorite way to eat them is on a toasted bun spread with garlic butter, a grilled dog tucked inside and topped with grainy German mustard and either Danish crispy fried onions or sauerkraut. YUM!!!!

Jenny Sunshine said...

ketchup and mustard... nice and simple.

Katherine said...

I like mine with southwest mustard, baked beans, and onion. Now a THAT'S a meal!

- Katherine

Southern Girl said...

I'm all about the classic hot dog with mustard, and chili if I'm being bad. ;)

Maryann said...

Sonoran style is a religious experience in our house. Bacon baby!!

Morgan said...

Hot dogs are one of my favorite foods, so almost any combo works for me! But I love them grilled with pickles and onions. Mmm.
Thanks for the giveaway!

Patti P said...

Sauted Onions & Bell Peppers of any or all colors,& mushrooms, Chili, Lots of Melted cheese, And jalapenos. My Hot Dog Cooked DARK on Grill or w/Torch. OR w/O the Chile and Cheee But all the other stuff I just told ya about. YUUMMMY.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Are you kidding? Veal hot dogs? OMG yum. I love hot dogs Chicago style, complete with the sport peppers and the celery salt. Yum.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

Grilled, for sure . . . though the toppings vary.

elaine said...

Grilled with nice marks, sauteed onions and sitting in a steamed bun covered with poppy seeds. On the bottom of the bun a nice stream of ketchup. **sigh**

There was an error in this gadget