Thursday, July 1

Festive Recipes For Your Fourth of July Cook-Out, Or Cook-In

watermelon striped mat

I'm on my way to the market to buy some watermelon and other goodies for our Fourth of July cook-in. Yup. Cook-in.

Sure, I could do a cook-out. We have two grills in our condo unit. But I and 218 other people will be vying for them all weekend. So I'm skipping the cook-out and doing a cook-in.

We'll still have the usual Fourth of July suspects -- sweet corn, potato salad, watermelon -- just no hot dogs and hamburgers. A grill pan, no matter how good, is no substitute for the real thing.

I'm also making homemade limoncello with my dad, which should make us feel better about not having char-grilled hamburgers. Limoncello always makes us feel better.

Whether you celebrate this Fourth of July indoors or outdoors, here are some recipes that will no doubt make you feel better. So will watching the fireworks lighting up the nighttime sky. Happy Fourth of July!

chili lime fruit salad 4

Chili-Lime Fruit Salad

chipotle bbq bean and corn salad

Chipotle Barbecue Bean and Corn Salad

Mexican grilled corn

Elote, or Mexican Grilled Corn

patriotic potato salad 1

Patriotic Potato Salad

a Southwest hamburger

The Southwest Hamburger

grilled steak tacos with watermelon-mango-jicama salsa

Grilled Steak Tacos with Watermelon-Mango-Jicama Salsa 

strawberry pie slice

Summertime Strawberry Pie

triple berry rhubarb crumble

Triple Berry Rhubarb Crisp

Wait! There's more! 
For more inventive potato salad recipes, check out this blog post about my featured piece, "Light Potato Salad" in the June 2010 issue of "Cooking Light." It includes recipes for three different potato salads:

Farmers' Market Potato Salad: This salad was selected as one the "Greatest Hits: 2010" by Cooking Light staff.

Lemon-Arugula Potato Salad

Lemongrass and Ginger Potato Salad

23 comments:

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

The corn looks fabulous. May be giving that one a go this weekend!

Olivia said...

Wow! I want to use this menu for my holiday weekend; everything looks absolutely incredible! Personally I adore this recipe I found for a flag cake, just a sheet cake and some delicious fresh fruit!

Here's the link if anyone is interested!
http://www.howcast.com/videos/198009-How-To-Make-a-Flag-Cake

Cheers!
Olivia

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

I really like the bean and corn salad. Thanks for sharing. It will be on our 4th of July menu.

bellini valli said...

Have a fun-filled long weekend Susan. I never have any doubt that you will be eating well.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

My mouth is watering - which to try first - the corn, the pie, the potato salad. oh dear. maybe all of them.

Joanne said...

All of these recipes look fantastic! I want those burgers!

Karen said...

If your family is there, I'm sure you'll have a great day! Happy 4th, Susan!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

jessica-It's my FAVORITE!

olivia-I wish I had the patience to do projects like flag cakes, but I never do. Hope your holiday is fun!

rockies-I hope it is. It's a crowd-pleaser!

val-Aw, thanks!

linda-All of them ;)

joanne-Me too!

karen-Well said, indeed.

The Duo Dishes said...

Elote! The great thing is that you can make that without a grill. Thanks for sharing the recipes!

RamblingTart said...

Limoncello always makes me feel better too. :-) And I have a whole bottle in my cupboard just waiting to be opened! Hooray! What a glorious menu, Susan! The burger looks so juicy and flavorful. :-)

Simply Life said...

oh my, I wish I had all of those as options this weekend!

lisaiscooking said...

The heat here usually makes our cook-out mostly 'in' anyway! Your patriotic potato salad looks fantastic. Happy 4th of July!

Chris said...

Wow! I shouldn't have looked at this before I ate! Every single one of these options look amazing. Loving the burger and the tacos!

Have a GREAT weekend!

Jacqueline said...

What agorgeous line-up of yummy food :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

Happy Fourth Susan, In or out your food is amazing! Have fun with your dad making limoncello.

goji health said...

I also like the corn salad..Did you have it today?Today is 4th of July.Please tell me how you like it..

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Fantastic, festive recipes - all worth staying in for! Can't wait to hear about your limoncello!

Annie said...

Everything looks delicious. Hope you had a good 4th!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy said...

Of all those dishes, I don't know if I can pick a favorite... they all look amazing! All the colors are gorgeous. The chili-lime fruit salad looks especially refreshing. Hope you had a wonderful 4th!

We Are Not Martha said...

That chili lime fruit salad looks amazing! OK, all of the food does, really :) Hope you had a fabulous weekend!

Sues

Cookie baker Lynn said...

It all looks so good! Can I come over to your place next Fourth of July?

Deborah Dowd said...

Who needs a grill with food like this!!!Everything looks amazing and I am really intrigued by the chili-lime fruit salad!

Lori Lynn said...

Love your colorful patriotic post! My oh my - that hamburger looks incredible.
LL

There was an error in this gadget