Tuesday, April 27

Trying to Get My Core Temperature Back Up with Creamy Artichoke Soup with Crispy Prosciutto

creamy artichoke soup with rosemary and prosciutto DSC_0011

Last week I was in Portland, OR attending the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) annual conference. It was fantastic. I was provoked, enlightened, and inspired. I was also cold.

Unlike San Diego's comfortable 65-75 degree temps, Portland's temps were in the 40's and 50's. Since the sun kept itself hidden, it actually felt like 30's to this perpetually icy-handed foodie.

I refused to bring a fleece. I'm from San Diego. We don't do fleece. So I brought my cute new spring coat and froze.

I also ate a lot of soup. When a group of us went to Portland's famous food carts, they noshed on bratwurst, grilled cheese, and Korean tacos. I ate soup.

When Jeff and I went to a microbrewery, he ordered the elk burger. I ate soup.

When we went to Voodoo Doughnuts with my dear friend TW of Culinary Types, I ate doughnuts. Voodoo doesn't sell soup.

Like Kramer from Seinfeld, who fell asleep in the broken, 58 degree hot tub, I can't get my core temperature back up.

So here I am back in sunny San Diego making soup.

Creamy Artichoke Soup with Crispy Prosciutto
Makes 4 servings
Print recipe only here.

This soup is made from the hearts only, the prized part of the artichoke. Once cooked, artichoke hearts are become satisfyingly creamy, making this a luxurious soup. The artichoke hearts' distinctive nutty, earthy flavor is enhanced by fragrant rosemary, tangy Meyer lemon, and rich extra virgin olive oil. I don't need to tell you to eat this with a hunk or two of crusty Italian bread.

1 lemon
4 globe artichokes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 leek (only the white bottom), thinly sliced
2 cups peeled, diced red potatoes
1 cup white mushroom, thinly sliced (10 minutes)
1/2 cup dry white wine (5 more min)
4 cups vegetable stock cover partially and cook 20-30 minutes
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
a few shakes of sea salt
10 cranks of fresh black pepper (blend)
1/2 cup half 'n half or heavy cream (stir in and warm before serving)
1 teaspoon Meyer lemon juice
salt and more black pepper to taste
2 ounces prosciutto

1. Fill a medium bowl with water and the juice of 1 lemon. Cut off the stem and rough base of the artichoke and the top two-thirds of the leaves. Snap off the remaining outer leaves. Using a small spoon, scrape out the fuzzy choke. Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the artichoke heart and place in the bowl of lemon water. Repeat with remaining 3 artichokes.

2. In a large stock pot over medium heat, warm olive oil and butter. Add the leek, potatoes, mushrooms, and artichoke slices (after draining and patting dry). Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add white wine and allow to evaporate (about 5-7 minutes). Add the vegetable stock, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and stir until well combined. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

3. Working in batches, puree the soup until smooth. Return it the pot; stir in the half and half (or cream), Meyer lemon juice, salt and pepper. Keep soup warm over a low heat.

4. Meanwhile, in a medium-size dry skillet over medium heat, add 2 ounces of sliced prosciutto. Cook 30 to 60 seconds, or until just crisp. Remove from heat, and slice into small pieces.

5. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls. Top with1/4 of the crispy prosciutto, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, some freshly ground black pepper and a bit of finely chopped fresh rosemary. Serve immediately.

Here are more springtime vegetable recipes you might enjoy from Food Blogga:
Italian Stuffed Artichokes (and why I was an artichoke diva)
Fave Bean and Dill Crostini
Apple, Fennel, and Celery Salad
Springtime Farro with Baby Artichokes, Mushrooms, and Peas

Here are more artichoke soup recipes you might enjoy:
Artichoke Soup recipe from Simply Recipes
Artichoke and Mushroom Soup recipe from Israeli Kitchen
Simple and Healthy Swiss Chard Artichoke Soup recipe from Farm Girl Fare
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower and Artichoke Soup recipe from Pinch My Salt

40 comments:

Manggy said...

Gosh, actually Portland sounds really nice. It is scorching here! (Then I'd have some of this soup to warm me back up, hehe :)

MrsJenB said...

Mmmm...glorious! We *just* had the perfect chilly, rainy weather for this, too.

Rambling Tart said...

Oh Susan, this looks fantastic! :-) I love the crispy bits of prosciutto on top. :-) It's cold and rainy in Washington too, and I'm having soup for dinner. :-)

Joanne said...

When I get cold, soup and tea are the only things that can make me warm again. Although I guess a doughnut wouldn't hurt... This soup sounds delicious! I have some artichokes in my fridge that are SCREAMING to be turned into this.

The French said...

I want to live in that soup and maybe sign a one year lease. Looks amazing:)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a delightful soup! I really like the ingredients you chose! Lovely!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

Mmmm this looks incredibly delicious and comforting!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I'm glad it's still cold enough in Rhode Island to make this soup; and what a great excuse to eat the leaves of the artichokes, to get to those hearts.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

We Are Not Martha said...

Oooh yum! I wish I had all the ingredients to make this right now as tonight is the perfect rainy night for a big bowl of soup (with prosciutto)!

Sues

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Susan - the Voodoo doughnuts, and our lovely breakfast with Jeff warmed my heart - no soup needed!

Cara said...

Wow, I never knew about the food cart culture in Portland (I just spent some time on the blog you linked checking it out!) How fun!

Your artichoke soup sounds delicious! I love a good bowl of soup.

Bellini Valli said...

Soup would hit the spot here too Susan. It is fitting I think that the word verification below to comment on your blog says "chillebo". Too funny.

Anonymous said...

I love that Seinfeld episode! Thanks for the clever post. You made me giggle. And thanks for the delciious soup recipe.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I SO hear you on not being able to warm up. I was in LA last week and it was unusually chilly by the beach. I had to turn my hotel heater on! By the end of the trip my husband was so tired of me talking about how cold I was (as was I:)

This soup looks gorgeous. And while I love soup I often have a hard time making it for a satisfying dinner unless there's some meat involved. The crispy prosciutto is just the ticket!

Thanks for sharing and hope you are all warmed up by now:)

http://meatandpotatoesfoodie.blogspot.com/

Suzan said...

Susan,
Do you think we could use frozen artichoke hearts for a quick soup? If so, how many do you think we'd need. They tend to be small. Thanks.

JacquelineC said...

I actually love the cold and I love soup anytime. I returned to colder and grayer weather in Boston. I thought we had sunny days in Portland? We're actually at 40 something today. I think I'll try this recipe with what I have on hand: some canned artichoke hearts and some dried porcinis..alas no prosciutto.

Great to meet you in Portland!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

mark-Scorching? That's a word that probably isn't even in their vocabulary!

mrsjenb-Good! Now you can stay really warm.

ramblingtart-I love those crispy guys too!

joanne-Then I REALLY hope you make it! You won't be disappointed. :)

thefrench- :)

rosa-Thank you!

jessica-Soothes you body and soul.

lydia-They are special, indeed.

vincent-Thank you for the kind words. I'll check it out.

sues-I hear ya.

tw-You just warmed my heart. Thank you.

cara-Oh, it's fabulous! They're all over the city.

val-How funny is that?

anonymous-I miss Sienfeld.

missmeatandpotatoes-You sound like me. Once I get cold, I can't warm up. And SoCal can get pretty chilly. Thank goodness for soup! I'm eating some today for lunch. It's cloudy in San Diego!

suzan-Sure, I think they'd be fine. I'd go for 8-10 since about 2-3 canned/frozen hearts equals 1 large fresh heart. Let me know how it turns out since I've never made it with them. Bon appetit!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

jacquelinec-Ha! It's all about perspective. From a San Diegan's pov, that was definitely not sunny. ;) It was great meeting you too. Stay warm!

Katy said...

this looks fantastic, and i know what you mean -- when we go somewhere cold, i drink tea nonstop until my body adjusts!

Elina said...

This is a fantastic way to bring your body temp up again. So creative! :)

Meredith said...

Sounds like you had a really fun time and got to try Portland's soups, not all bad I'm sure :)

Lynda said...

How can you go wrong with creamy artichoke anything? And the crispy prosciutto at the end is the deal breaker - of course :)

Livin Local said...

Mmmmm, soup! This is lovely, and the prosciutto accent is so classy.

As for Portland, the last time I was there (January) I had enough micro-brews to always feel warm. :-)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

The soup looks delicious. I'm sorry the Northwest gave you the cold shoulder. Come back in July. I promise you sunshine and cookies.

sunita said...

Artichoke rarely makes it's appearance in our shopping baskets; after seeing this soup, that might change. Thanks Susan :-)

Window On The Prairie said...

Those Portland temps don't sound too bad. Back in January, it was below zero here. It's all relative I guess. Soup is a wonderful way to warm up though.
Suzanne

lisa said...

The weather has been crazy here in Santa Monica...cold, hot, warm, super windy!

This soup looks amazing, love the crispy prosciutto. It's a great recipe, going to bookmark it.

Justin said...

you know what's funny is that i thought the weather was great there. i came back to rain and a few chilly days here in nyc, although it's supposed to become amazingly warm tomorrow. but the whole time i was thinking that it was pretty decent (except when it kept raining on and off on saturday when i was trying to explore).

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Weather just drives us nuts, doesn't it?
Heck, I'll enjoy soup just any day and this one looks loverly. I mean artichokes and prosciutto! Yesterday I had a wonderful lentil topped with flash fried leeks that was heaven! ummm but then I was also in Port Townsend and it was cooler than Dallas by a long ways...

Katie @ Cozydelicious said...

This soup looks wonderful! I am always looking for new fun things to do with artichokes, and this sounds excellent! Here in New England it's still chilly too, but I am well into flip-flops and refuse to switch back. So soup is necissary! Thanks!

lisaiscooking said...

The funny thing is that I just made an artichoke soup, but it was chilled! Your warm version sounds delicious. Hope your core temp is getting back to normal!

katiez said...

Artichokes are in full season here.... Maybe, in another 2 weeks, I'll have eaten enough, steamed and leaves dipped in olive oil, to try this soup.... Actually, I'd make it today if I hadn't already eaten all the artichokes.....

tasteofbeirut said...

Susan
I hope you did get your temperature up with this!
It looks fantastic!

Stacy (Little Blue Hen) said...

There is a bakery/cafe back in Minneapolis that makes an amaaaaaazing artichoke heart soup that I have tried (and failed) to recreate. Yours sounds a bit different, but still delicious. Tomorrow may not be a soup day, but I'm sure I can fit it in soon!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

katy-Tea is also a good body warmer.

elina-Thanks!

meredith-Nope. Not bad at all.

lynda-I agree. :)

livin local-Ha! I had a few of those myself. ;)

sunita-Rarely? Really? I just love them.

lynn-Aw, that's so sweet. I'd love to take you up that.

windowontheprairie-Yes, it is relative. Don't forget, I'm a San Diegan now. Anything below 60 is cold.

justin-If I lived in New York, I'm sure I would have felt the same way. But I swear, my blood has thinned since moving to SD. ;)

lisa-I hope you enjoy it!

tanna-Lentils with flash fried leeks? Mmmm.... I'd like a big bowl of that please.:)

katie-I agree. Don't go back! ;)

lisa-Chilled? Ha. I'll stick to the hot ones until the temps are back in the 80s. ;)

katiez-Yeah, not eating them all is a problem. ;)

tasteofbeirut-I have. thanks.:)

stacy-I hope you find the time, b/c this is amaaaazing too. :)

Joanna said...

I just made this last night - delicious!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

joanna-So happy to hear it! Thanks!

Rachel said...

This artichoke soup sounds really satisfying. Soup is my thing, too. I noticed when I recently did an index of my recipes that the Soup category was the biggest one!

Patti at Worth The Whisk said...

Have you finally warmed up after IACP? My post-conference fog has lifted, and am systematically going through all my notes. Best IACP conference in a decade, seriously!

There was an error in this gadget