Tuesday, December 22

Christmas Day Brunch and Breakfast Recipes

Jeff and I have been starving ourselves for the last two days. Well, not actually starving. We did have our morning coffee. Oh, and I sneaked in a couple of double chocolate pomegranate cookies yesterday. But those don't count. I was recipe testing.

Why are we starving ourselves? Because in less than 48 hours on Christmas Eve night, we will be enjoying a traditional Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes. That means fried calamari, fried smelts, and crab cakes. Snail salad, bacala (a dried, salted fish), and shrimp cocktail. (Those are just the starters.) Then comes the pasta. Two types of pasta, actually -- one with mixed seafood including shrimp, scallops, and lobster; the other with olive oil, clam sauce, and parsley. Then we'll finish with jumbo stuffed shrimp and garlicky broccoli rabe.

Jeff figures if he can lose enough enough weight to tighten his belt by one notch, then that'll leave him a whole notch-worth of eating on Christmas Eve. Genius.

You might think that we wouldn't eat on Christmas Day. We do. Christmas breakfast or brunch always upstages Christmas dinner because who feels like eating turkey and vegetables after all that seafood? Fruit salad, pancakes, and frittatas are much more appealing. Chances are good that even if you don't celebrate Christmas Eve, you'll have a special Christmas Day breakfast or brunch. So if you're looking for Christmas Day breakfast and brunch ideas, here are some of my favorite archived recipes.

Happy Holidays!

Italian pannetone French toast

Ricotta Hotcakes with Warmed Spiced Apples and Maple DSC_0252
Ricotta Hotcakes with Warm Spiced Apples and Maple Syrup

spinach and ricotta frittata 2
Spinach and Ricotta Frittata

cherry, prune, and almond granola
Cherry, Prune, and Almond Granola

savory sausage, fennel, and sun-dried tomato galette
Savory Sausage and Fennel Galette

banana, coconut, and Medjool date bread

Need a few more ideas? Check out these recipes from Food Blogga:
Spiced Coffee
Winter Jewel Fruit Salad with Honey-Citrus Glaze
Pear and Cardamom Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel
Old-Fashioned Spiced Apple Streusel Muffins
Lemony Medjool Date and Pomegranate Scones
Chestnut Pancakes with Pancetta, Creme Fraiche, and Cinnamon Maple Syrup


Here are more delicious Christmas breakfast and brunch recipes:
Holiday Breakfast Wreath recipe at The Kitchn
Pumpkin Waffles recipe at Smitten Kitchen
Gingerbread Pancakes recipe at Homesick Texan
Sausage Breakfast Casserole recipe at Simply Recipes
Spiked Egg French Toast recipe at Pinch My Salt

28 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great recipes!

Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Rosa

foodie ffanatic said...

Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas, Susan! Dani

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

I sure am drooling with all this deliciousness.....BAcala sounds (snd is i think) so much like the bacalau we make for christmas-i can polish off a whole plate and few of my pals who dont fancy bacalau eat what my darling mommy puts by-love it!!!!!

kate said...

Have a wonderful and delicious Christmas Susan!

Bellini Valli said...

Good strategy Susan. We hope your Christmas is filled with joy, laughter and many kitchen successes in the New Year.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Great collection of brunch-y dishes, Susan. Wishing you a happy, healthy, and snow-free New Year!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I'd happily adopt a Christmas brunch tradition like that! Yum!

Gina said...

This brings back memories of my childhood feasts at my grandmother's house. I can still see the big dining table laden with all the fish and pasta..mmmm.
Sadly,I can't get my grown kids to embrace this tradition!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I would eat brunch any day of the week. Christmas just makes it that much better. (And I totally agree that the Christmas meal is beside the point. Breakfast is the star of that day.)

Your photos are always divine, Susan. I would come here just to look at them, even if your recipes weren't awesome (which they are). Merry Christmas!

Maria said...

You have a great list too! I think I will just eat breakfast for every meal for the next couple of days so I can fit them all in:) Happy Holidays Susan!

Cooking with Michele said...

I'm so jealous - I've always wanted to do a seven fishes Christmas dinner, but only one of my 3 grown kids will eat fish of any kind, so it's never an option! Enjoy your feast!

Patsyk said...

We may not celebrate Christmas, but having a special breakfast sounds like a great way to enjoy the morning that day! I love your ideas and may have to surprise my family with one of them! :)

Happy Holidays! Oh, and I'm envious of those who do the feast of 7 fishes... sounds so amazing!

The Food Hunter said...

Your Chirstmas eve meal sounds wonderful...what time should I be there :-)

Goody said...

Merry Christmas Susan.

I have salt cod soaking away in my fridge as I type.

Goody

www.eattheblog.blogspot.com

The Teacher Cooks said...

My Gosh!! These look delicious. I am so hungry right now.

kellypea said...

I love hearing about everyone's holiday traditions. That seafood spread sounds heavenly. Thanks for all the great food ideas, too. I'm not exactly prepared this year....Happy Holidays!

Soma said...

Dear Susan - eHappy Holidays & Happy New year to you and your loved ones.D

Kelly said...

OH MY GOSH...can I please please please come to your house on Christmas morning? I want all of it!!!

nora@ffr said...

susan these all are awesome!! great job!
cheers and merry Christmas!!

patstudio said...

oh oh oh. those recipes..... those pictures are sooo tantalizing.

merry merry

katiez said...

My usual Christmas breakfast is a plate of cookies and a cup of dark, thick, hot chocolate.
Very healthy!
Merry Christmas!

Unplanned Cooking said...

Wow! I love seafood. That's a great idea to serve it for Christmas. I'm sort of meated-out (if that is a word) at that point, so it'd be nice to change things up.

Abby said...

I love hearing about Italian feasts. I'd love to take part in one someday! They sound so fabulous.

Merry Christmas to you and yours from me and mine!

Lori Lynn said...

That is a mighty fine collection of favorite recipes. Hope you and Jeff are enjoying the holidays Susan!
LL

hardwood kitchen table said...

Happy Holidays! Great recipes you posted! I love the hotcake recipe! I just tried it and I was amazed with the taste! So delicious!

Sharon said...

These breakfast treats are really mouth watering! What a great day to start your day everyday!

Tracy, Status Now

The Purple Foodie said...

You've left me drolling over the galette, Susan! Just stunning. Happy 2010 to you! :)

Jeanne said...

Holy moly - that's a whole lot of eating! Hope you two had a fantastic Christmas :)

There was an error in this gadget