Thursday, November 20

Holiday Orange, Date, and Pecan Bread, (Plus Some Tags and a Meme)

Orange, Date, and Pecan Bread

I have been tagged by the lovely Val of More than Burnt Toast to bake bread and help raise awareness of an international charity called Breadline Africa, which Jeanne of Cooksister has brought to the attention of food bloggers.

According to Jeanne, "Blogger Bake-off was launched by Breadline Africa on Blog Action Day. The slogan is bake bread, give dough and the aim is to raise $1 million in funds to help alleviate poverty in Africa. Their plan is to convert shipping containers into locations for food production and distribution in Africa. It is hoped that these sustainable community kitchens will not only provide food such as bread and soup to those in need, but also opportunities for skills development within poor communities."

Click here to find out how to get involved.

Bloggers can download the Blogger Bake-off widget and tag five other bloggers to do the same. There is no obligation to donate money; even mentioning it on your blog will help create awareness. Here are the 5 bloggers I'm tagging. It's great if you are able to participate, but no problem if you're not.

1. Rosa of Rosa's Yummy Yums
2. Stacey of Stacey Snacks
3. Susan of Farm Girl Fare
4. Susan of Wild Yeast
5. Tanna of My Kitchen in Half Cups

Orange, Date, and Pecan Bread

Now for the bread. I am in love with succulent fresh Medjool dates, which are currently in season. Underneath their iridescent, crinkly skins is soft, sticky flesh that tastes like a mix of rich caramel, wild honey, and sweet cinnamon.

This moist, dense quick bread is chock full of dates and pecans and is laced with orange zest and a medley of spices -- a special bread for a special cause.

Did I mention it's low-fat? So if you have guests staying over for the holidays, it would be a deliciously light breakfast bread to serve the morning after a big turkey dinner.

Orange, Date, and Pecan Bread

Orange, Date, and Pecan Bread

Makes 4 mini loaves
Print recipe only here.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs plus 4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 cup pitted, coarsely chopped Medjool dates
1/2 cup pecans

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Coat 4 (5 X 3- inch) mini-loaf pans/tins with cooking spray. Adjust the number of pans accordingly based on the size you use. Just remember, with smaller pans, baking time will be shorter; with a larger loaf pan,baking time will be longer, by about 15 minutes.

In a medium size bowl, whisk the flours, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil, orange juice, and orange zest.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and using a rubber spatula, mix until just incorporated. Fold in the dates and pecans. Divide the batter evenly among the pans.

Since breads bake more quickly using small pans, bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cakes are a deep golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a rack; let cool for 10 minutes, then unmold and place on a rack to cool to room temperature.

Orange, Date, and Pecan Bread

Like that nifty coffee mug? I received it at the BlogHer conference this past summer, courtesy of Elise of Simply Recipes. I'm sure you have all used it before, but just in case, Foodblogsearch.com is a wonderful tool. It archives recipes from over 2,600 blogs. So check it out!

I'm sending my bread to Lore of Culinarty who is looking for your original holiday inspired recipes for this month's Original Recipes round-up.

I want to give a shout out to Food Hunter of Food Hunter's Guide to Cuisine who honored me with an I Love You This Much Award. I'm passing the love on to all of you!

Val also flattered me with this Kreative Blogger Award. Thank you, my dear!

Here are 5 more Kreative bloggers whom I admire for their creativity.

1. Aran of Cannelle et Vanille
2. Jude from Apples Pies, Patis, and Pates
3. Kate from Kate in the Kitchen
4. Kathy from Panini Happy
5. Oakley from lemonbasil

Now you five know what to do!

Last one! I have been tagged by Mark of No Special Effects to do the Commenter's Meme. Here's how it works.

List your last 10 commenters, (I wrote this post a couple of days ago, so I named the last 10 at that time), then answer the questions below:

1. deborah of Taste and Tell
2. maryann of Finding La Dolce Vita
3. meeta of What's for Lunch, Honey?
4. eatmedelicious
5. maris of Mad About Martha
6. mark of No Special Effects (I guess he's exempt since he tagged me for this!)
7. lisa of Jersey Girl Cooks
8. sarah of What Smells So Good?
9. chris of Melecotte
10. abby of Confabulation in the Kitchen

Questions:

1. What is your favorite post from number 3's blog? I loved the post about her son, Soeren's, wish for a tree with all of his favorite berries on it.

2. Has number 10 taken any pictures that have moved you? Who wouldn't be moved by her sweet newborn, Cash?

3. Does #6 respond to comments on his/her blog? Yes, and he does a great job!

4. Which part of blogland is number 2 from? New York.

5. If you could give one piece of advice to number 7 what would it be? Keep on doing what you're doing.

6. Have you every tried something from number 9's blog? I haven't made an exact recipe, but I was inspired by her fig posts this past fall and made a couple of similar dishes.

7. Has number 1 blogged something that inspired you? Yeah, I'm smitten with her Chocolate Mint Cupcakes. How cute would these be for St. Patrick's Da
y?

8. How often do you comment on number 4's blog? I'm not sure. So maybe I should do more!

9. Do you wait for number 8 to post excitedly? With the holiday baking season upon us, yes! Sarah is an amazing baker and contributed several wonderful cookies including Soetkoekies to my Eat Christmas Cookies Event last year.

10. How did number 5's blog change your life? Um, I just met her, so we're not that deep into the relationship yet.

11. Do you know any of the 10 bloggers in person? No, unfortunately.

12. Do any of your 10 bloggers know each other in person? Um, I don't know.

13. Out of the 10, which updates more frequently? I think Chris of Melecotte. And she works full time in a middle school. How much does she rock?

14. Which of the 10 keep you laughing? Mark. Come on, you know you're funny.

15. Which of the 10 has made you cry (good or bad tears)? Maryann. Her family posts always warm my heart.


Whew! Now if you 10 feel like playing along, you know the rules. If not, no worries.

42 comments:

Heather said...

wow! that is quite some bread! it does sound perfect for after Thanksgiving. And yay for awards :)

Culinarywannabe said...

Wow - you've been tagged more than preschooler! :) This bread does look perfect for breakfast. And since it's LF and has WW flour, we shouldn't feel guilty for having something sweet!

PaniniKathy said...

Thanks so much for the award, Susan! And your holiday bread looks just gorgeous, as usual. I've been looking for some new breakfast items (not much of an egg person) - a bread like this just might fit the bill!

Maryann said...

Love your bread, the meme (thanks sweety), the cup....

Manggy said...

Ah... That's the thing I love about bread... You can eat something sweet, fruity, and filling without the burden of all that fat! Date bread sounds awesome (I've yet to bake with dates but I'm eager to try).
Thanks for answering the meme (I didn't think anyone would, since I'm very loose about passing it on!)! Aw, thanks for the kind words too ;)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

The dates will do it for me too Susan!
Thanks for the tag. I'll try to get with the bread line as soon as I'm home again.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful bread and a great meme!

Cheers and have a wonderful weekend,

Rosa

MeetaK said...

oh susan! this is a lovely bread! i really love the flavors - and yes i too am enjoy loads of medjool dates right now so i think i have to give this a go!

jesse said...

The bread looks wonderful, but I am more in awe of your photo-taking skills. Your pictures are just breathtaking!

Vij said...

Moist n perfect susan!

cooknkate said...

Thanks for the award- it's always appreciated.

The bread looks wonderful too! I love dates and was just eying some at the grocer the other day. I may have to go back and get a sack to make this bread.

Those baking pans are so adorable too! You probably could have made a mud pie in them and made it look good.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I didn't see that you had tagged me... Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll have the time to participate, unfortunately. We'll see.

Cheers and have a great weekend,

Rosa

Jeanne said...

Thanks so much for getting involved and helping to spread the word about the Breadline Africa campaign - and WOW, what a bread to contribute! The commenter meme is fun, isn't it? And well done on your richly deserved clutch of awards :)

Maria said...

I love your bread pans!! They are darling! The bread looks great too!! Fun reading more about you!

The Food Hunter said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to mke it this weekend.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

A date loaf sounds delicious. I like that you made mini loaves, as I'm the only one in my family who likes dates.

Darius T. Williams said...

This bread...yum!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Lore said...

Perfect holiday bread Susan! Thanks for sharing it with the Original Recipes Round-Up

Rachel said...

Am in love with your mini loaf pans,,,
gorgeous bread...

Susan from Food Blogga said...

heather-And it's quick and easy too.

cwannabe-That's a good one.:)

kathy-You're so welcome!

maryann-It was my pleasure.

mark-Oh, you've got to try dates! And it's easy to say kind words about you.

tanna-I figured since you're a bread baking babe, you'd be perfect! Thanks!

rosa-Thank you.

meeta-I hope you try it!

jesse-That is awfully kind of you.

vij-Thanks!

kate-You're quite welcome. Please go back and get some, now! Aren't they adorable? My mom sent them to me. :)

rosa-I understand.

jeanne-You're so welcome.

maria-I love them too. They're from my mom.

foodhunter-yay! Let me know how it turns out! :)

lynn-Plus, you can eat the whole loaf without gaining 5 pounds. ;)

darious-Yum!

lore-You're welcome!

rachel-Aren't they cute? Thank you!

Abby said...

Yay! Thanks! Yes, Cash is a doll. And I'm not biased AT ALL. Heh.

And I haven't changed your life? HA.

Cute post!

Caviar and Codfish said...

What a great cause. I'm going to get looking through my bread books!

Aran said...

thanks so much susan and congrats to you for the beautiful work that you do here and all the recognition you are getting!

Ivy said...

The bread looks lovely and bravo for baking for a good cause, great job! I love your pans.

Alexa said...

Your date bread looks so tasty... the perfect afternoon pick-me-up. The pans are really sweet, too.

chefectomy said...

Great bread Susan, I adore dates. And orange zest seems like a perfect addition. Thanks!

--Marc

Arfi Binsted said...

delicious combination, Susan!! I love dates, especially nibbled in Ramadhan.

Sheryl said...

Wow! It looks delicious!
I really like your blog! :)
Have a nice Sunday!

Sheryl

Bellini Valli said...

I am so glad you had the opportunity to show your stuff by making this delicious bread and spread the word for this worthy cause Susan!!!

Zita said...

Cute dishes, Susan... the breads look beautiful too.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

OMG that was a complicated meme! But there's nothing complicated about your cute little breads!

Cakespy said...

Fun to learn more about you and what you know about others...and of course some delicious bread for the journey! :-)

Annie said...

Yum... I love the breads! Great flavors!

diva said...

these loaves of bread look fantastic! and i just love those porcelein loaf tins :) x

Mansi said...

wow, that bread looks festive indeed! but I really like the way you've incorporated all the fruity flavors in there...wonderful!:)

farida said...

Your bread looks fantastic! You are such a creative baker.

Deborah said...

That's a lot of tags - but so much fun!! And the bread looks fabulous.

Rosie said...

Your bread looks fantastic Susan! A great entry for such a worthy cause :)

Rosie x

Jude said...

Thanks for the award! So nice to see a note from you in the inbox after a short break from blogging :)

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://www.car-insurance-choices.com

Susan from Food Blogga said...

abby-I didn't think you were biased. ;)

candc-That's wonderful! Thanks!

aran-You're so welcome. And thank you for the kind words.

ivy-I appreciate that.

alexa-They're great with an afternoon cup of coffee.

marc-The citrus really enhances the dates' flavor.

arfi-I just adore them too.

sheryl-Thanks so much! I'm glad you found me.

val-I am too. :)

zita-Thank you!

ccookie-Nope. They're as simple as can be. :)

cakespy-It is fun.

annie-Thanks so much!

diva-I love those dishes too.

mansi-Thanks a bunch!

farida-Oh, that is so sweet of you to say.

deborah-Thank you!

rosie-I appreciate your kind words.

jude-My pleasure!

susan-I'm so happy you found me. I'll look forward to your visits. :)

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://www.car-insurance-choices.com

There was an error in this gadget