Sunday, June 7

Would You Travel 3,000 Miles for Fig Marmalade?

fig crostini 1

When most people travel they splurge on expensive things like jewelry. Me? I traveled 3,000 miles from San Diego to Providence to buy a $3.29 cent bottle of fig, anise, and sesame marmalade.

Though I ate most of it straight out of the bottle with a spoon, I was able to save enough to make this Fig, Prosciutto, and Goat Cheese Crostini.

Then, I couldn't stop eating the crostini. It's no wonder. Crunchy ciabatta bread was topped with sweet fig marmalade, salty prosciutto, and tangy goat cheese.

fig marmalade 2

(This marmalade is from Hallak Middle East Market. 1455 Mineral Spring Ave., North Providence, RI 02904. 401-354-8677.)

Before making this crostini -- which you just have to do -- select a really good Italian or Mediterranean deli/market to get the best ingredients possible. As for the fig marmalade, different varieties are available at both Italian and Middle Eastern markets.

If you want the best fig marmalade though, book a ticket on Southwest to the PVD airport (they're currently running a sale). Then call my mom for directions.

fig crostini 2

Fig, Proscuitto, and Goat Cheese Crostini

Serves 8-10
Print recipe only here.

1 loaf ciabatta, cut into 8-10 equal size slices
8 ounces (1 cup) goat cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8-10 slices prosciutto (about 4 ounces)
8 ounces (8 tablespoons) fig marmalade or jelly

Place bread slices on a large baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile in a small bowl mix goat cheese, olive oil, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.

Spread each slice of toasted bread with 1 ounce of fig marmalade, then 1 slice of prosciutto; top with 1/8 of the goat cheese mixture. Repeat with remaining slices.

You might also like these appetizers:

Camembert and Kumquat Chutney Toasts




Roasted Pepper, Olive, and Brie Bruschetta




Grilled Eggplant with Roasted Red Pepper Tapenade




More delicious crostini:
Crostini of Creamy Mushroom with Lemon and Mint at Kitchenography
Kale and Myzithra Crostini at Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska
Italian Style 7-Layer Dip for Crostini at Ms. Adventures in Italy
Sun-Dried Tomato Jam Crostini at Feasts and Fotos

Save This Page on Del.icio.us

41 comments:

Allison said...

I'm in Cranston , where can I buy this marmalade?

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Yes, do tell... where?

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hi Allison and Lydia: I just called my mom for the name:It's Hallak Middle East Market. 1455 Mineral Spring Ave., North Providence, RI 02904 (401-354-8677). Hope you go! It's run by a really nice family.

Bellini Valli said...

I would have to travel even further for this fig marmalade Susan. I can see it would be worth it:D

Aparna said...

Fig marmalade. Never heard of this before and sounds good.
Did you really travel just for this marmalade, Susan?

haleysuzanne said...

Oh, figs. I'm a devotee of fig preserves. When I moved to Virginia from Georgia, the first thing I looked for in my local market was Braswell's of Georgia fig preserves. They had them. I'm eating them on toasted brioche for breakfast for the next week. Jellied heaven.

However, I'm open to suggestion, so this will have to be made.

Sharon said...

Too funny. I was just at Henry's today and wanted to buy some fig spread for the exact same thing (goat cheese & fig) but it was $5.99. I left with just the goat cheese, hoping I could find the spread somewhere cheaper. ...now I know where!!

The Leftoverist said...

These photos are so delectable! I was cleaning out my fridge today and came across a forgotten jar of fig jam. It will not be lonely anymore :)

Snooky doodle said...

yummy these crostini look delciious. I love the sweet and salty taste. i ll try to make some fig jam myself :)

Parita said...

Fig marmalade looks delicious,never had this before, will def try if i come across or make some fig jam for myself :)

Lisa said...

I'm in West Warwick...thanks for the info. I adore figs!

Debbie said...

Oh I just love figs! I even have two fig trees in my yard! Never had fig marmalade but it sounds wonderful.

Susan said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous marmalade. Is this a house specialty or do they import it?

Kara said...

Wow looks amazing. Though I have to say, the combination that you made out of it is even more enticing than just the marmalade itself.

finsmom said...

This is a perfect appy - I will be bookmarking these!

janetfaye said...

I love homemade Fig Marmalade, the best I ever tasted was from Greece. My mother in law lives there and she made it for me. The figs in Greece are huge and sweet. It was so good I could not stop eating it.

Culinary Wannabe said...

The crostini look awesome. I can see why you would be up for the trip - I've gone to Italy just for the food! Maybe not as extreme as a jar of jam, but it's still amazing the things we'll do for good eats!

michaela said...

i'm originally from bosont and will have to get some next time i'm home.

and i'd like one of those crostini right now, please.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

val-A girl after my own heart.

aparna- No, but I would. ;)

haleysuzanne-On brioche? "Jellied heaven," indeed. :)

sharon-I've got to find a good Middle Eastern market here. I'm sure it's cheaper and better.

leftoverist-I don't blame ya!

snooky-Making fig jam? Call me; I'll help! :)

parita-You've got to try it!

susan- They import it, though the market provides many home cooked foods too.

lisa-Then it's not far at all!

debbie-So where do you live? ;)

kara-That's awfully sweet of you. thanks!

finsmom-Great! I'm happy to hear it!

janet-I'm sure it's luscious!

ashley-I would do serious damage in Italy. ;)

michaela-It's only a 45 min ride, and it's worth it!

Simona said...

That's such an interesting combination of flavors! I am trying to imagine how the marmalade taste, with anise and sesame seeds. Lovely use of a great buy.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Figs and cheese and prosciutto are such an awesome combination.

I'd be happy to fly to Provence for the marmalade, but times are tight. I'd have to pick up some lavendar or something to have a good enough excuse to make the trip. I'll have to settle for the domestic variety.

The Duchess of Wessex said...

I would! Then, I would have a case shipped home! Yum...

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Best,

Janet

veron said...

This looks delicious...better not show this to the hungry hubby. He is a fig eating fiend and wouldn't mind travelling 3000 miles for this.

Proud Italian Cook said...

There are some things in life that are just worth the effort. This fits the list! This sort of reminds me (in a small way, because yours looks better) the fig spread from Whole Foods. 4.99 for a small jar, but quite delicious!

Soma said...

Fig Marmalade is something I could go that far! The crostinis look divine.

cooknkate said...

This would be perfect in a post called:

"You know your obsessed with food when....."

I would totally eat all that crostini. It's become one of my favorite snacks.

The Italian Dish said...

Susan, you won't believe this - we make this all the time! We love the combination of the fig spread and prosciutto. Delicious.

Juliana said...

Fig marmelade? Sounds so good...such a great combination of ingredients...lovely for appetizers. Nice pictures!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Susan..you know I would!! :)
Maryann xox

tigress said...

I have a friend that lives VERY close to providence.
i've already cut and pasted it an email...

Darius T. Williams said...

I proabably wouldn't - BUT this is some fantastic looking marmalade!

DIane said...

Smokes! That looks SO good!

Ivy said...

I love fig jam and can't wait until August to make some. Love the idea of having it with goat cheese and crostinis.

ChichaJo said...

I would! But I fear I have more than 3000 miles to go for that awesome looking fig marmalade! :) Lovely crostini!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Ah Susan I don't think it's the same fig marmalade but when I discovered some several years ago in the market I was smitten - gorgeous stuff. Now I'll have to be trying this topping soon - I think there's a recipe for ciabatta in my future.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Have you checked into their shipping charges? I suppose it's worth it, though, because those look gorgeous!

Manggy said...

Ha ha! I'm pretty sure you had other things to see in Providence than marmalade, but it's such a unique product, I wouldn't blame you if you did! I'm glad you spared a bit of it for this wonderful crostini! :P

ellysaysopa said...

Oh, this sounds incredible. I LOVE figs in pretty much any shape or form. I think I have eaten a lb. of dry figs in the last 8 days. :)

nora@ffr said...

never had fig marmalade.. but this one sound wonderful. impressive idea and excellent photo's :) love ye blog :)
cheers!!

Actors Diet said...

I LOVE FIGS!!!!

Sprouted Kitchen said...

I spent some time in Italy a few years back, where they made their own fig jam. No sugar, just boiled figs, adn it is phenomenal. Great recipe! Glad I foudn your blog ~

There was an error in this gadget